I don’t know about you, but when I hear, “Are your affairs in order?” I immediately think of my will, my end-of-life wishes, and financial security. I find that most of us forget about those unexpected emergencies such as natural disasters including snow, fire, flooding, high winds or tornados; environmental disasters like utility outages; medical emergencies from acute illness, falls, or accidents; and household emergencies such as the loss of heat, air conditioning, plumbing, or appliance failure. It’s amazing how the simplest thing such as the breakdown of an electric can-opener can have a major impact on someone with arthritis.
As we start to plan for emergencies and get ALL of our affairs in order, including the legal ones, there are many factors to consider such as finances, any medical conditions, our immediate family, parents, neighbors, and even our pets!
The 3 steps to having ALL Your Affairs in Order are:
- Plan Ahead
- Determine who you can count on to be your primary source of help
- Have a list of people who you can turn to for questions, support, and help
- Make arrangements with someone to help with the house, children, and pets should you need to leave unexpectedly
- Notify the electric company if you require the use of life-sustaining medical equipment
- Gather Important Documents
- Gather important information about everyone in your household
- Develop a notebook with critical information and documents so that everything is in one place
- Keep important contact information in your wallet, such as your emergency contact, doctors, kids, friends, and neighbors
- Get professional help to assist with the development of your plan
Contact Senior Life Solutions at (970) 282-7975 for all your planning and coordination needs. We are experts in eldercare and can help you develop a plan that is tailored to fit your preferences and desires from beginning to end. Don’t live in Colorado? No worries, we can get you connected to an Aging Life Care Professional™ in your area.